There were 28 runs scored, 15 by Bowling Green batters. 19 position players took part in the game; only one, Andy Fermin, did not score a run. Fermin didn't start the game, by the way.
There were 24 strikeouts, 13 by Hot Rods pitchers. There were 13 walks, 12 by Lugnuts pitchers.
There were four blown saves, two by each team.
Here were the sorts of twists and turns we experienced:
- Two batters into the game, the Hot Rods led 2-0 on a Jake Hager home run off Aaron Sanchez.
- The Lugnuts immediately countered with two runs in the bottom of the 1st, and then scored six more runs in the 2nd inning, capped by a Kevin Patterson home run. 8-2, hometown heroes.
- Stymied by Sanchez from the 2nd through the 4th innings, Bowling Green loaded the bases in the 5th on a trio of walks. Bryan Longpre came in from the bullpen... and allowed all three runs. 8-5, Lugs.
- Longpre gave up two more runs in the 6th before he was chased in favor of Phil Brua. 8-7, Lugs.
- A sacrifice fly ties the game in the 7th against Brua. 8-8.
- A Juniel Querecuto error in the 8th gives Lansing the lead back. 9-8, Lugs.
- The Hot Rods crush Kramer Champlin in the 9th to the tune of four more runs. Stunningly, it is now 12-9, Bowling Green.
- In the bottom of the 9th, K.C. Hobson singles, Michael Crouse singles, and Kevin Patterson whomps a three-run homer way out to right. 12-12. Seriously? We play onward.
- The 10th inning passes uneventfully.
- With two outs in the 11th, Hobson drops Gustavo Pierre's throw on what should be an inning-ending groundout. Juniel Querecuto scores. 13-12, Hot Rods. Surely that must be it.
- In the bottom of the 11th, Patterson strikes out, Chris Schaeffer grounds out, and Chris Peters grounds to third -- but Querecuto's throw is a poor one, and the Lugnuts still have life. Shane Opitz promptly drills a game-tying triple to right-center. Because, you know, why not? 13-13.
- A scoreless 12th inning.
- Aleson Escalante runs into trouble in the 13th inning. A bunt single and walk put two runners on, though left fielder Peters grants Escalante a reprieve by grabbing a single from Querecuto and throwing out Drew Vettleson at the plate. A walk later, however, and the bases are loaded. Ryan Brett bloops a fly toward shallow right, Chris Hawkins gets a late break on it, and the ball dies for a fluke two-run double. 15-13, Hot Rods.
- In the bottom of the 13th, Michael Crouse grounds out, Kevin Patterson strikes out, and Chris Schaeffer flies out. Ballgame.