Dear Sen. Lautenberg and Sen. Durbin:

I am writing to wholeheartedly support your letter and stance regarding a ban on smokeless tobacco in the Major Leagues.

I am the radio broadcaster and media department for the Lansing Lugnuts, a Class-A team in the Toronto Blue Jays minor league system.  This is my seventh year in professional baseball, including stints in Brockton (MA), Montgomery (AL) and Crestwood (IL).

I wish to inform you that everywhere I have been, despite the ban to the contrary, the vast majority of the minor league players and coaches use smokeless tobacco on the field, in the clubhouse and in public.  Indeed, it is the rare one or two players on a team in any league who DON'T use smokeless tobacco.  No wonder the problem is so rampant in the Major Leagues.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Jesse Goldberg-Strassler

Comments

Anonymous said…
Seriously, I didn't realize this was such a widespread habit in baseball. Not good. Sunflower seeds, guys, sunflower seeds!!

Popular Posts