Starting anew

In support of Black History Month, here's the man considered possibly the greatest player of all time (and if not #1, then he's #2 behind Babe Ruth):  Oscar Charleston.

If I'm going to build this a little from the beginning, as it feels with the start of each season, then a couple of quick baseball things about me:

* I love baseball history, particularly the great stories.

* I grew up a Tigers fan in Maryland.  Alan Trammell is my boyhood hero.

* I don't quite understand all of the new statistics, but I get what they're getting at and I appreciate that.  I think on-base percentage (or on-base average, depending on your preference) is easy to understand, and I think fielding range statistics are tremendously important.

* A double play in the act of being turned is a beautiful thing.

* I'm currently watching Ken Burns' "Baseball" for the very first time.  It's everything that everyone says it is.  (I'm in the 4th inning right now.)

* I like 50% of "Bull Durham," 99% of "Sugar," and 100% of Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own."

* I love hockey.  I love soccer.  I love football.  I love basketball.  I love tennis.

* Also:  curling.

Ask questions at any time, I'll do my best to answer them to the best of my ability.

Comments

Popular Posts