I support Tim Thomas

The Boston Bruins went to the White House yesterday to be honored for their Stanley Cup title of a season ago.

Goaltender Tim Thomas, one of the team's two Americans, was not with them.  As he posted on his Facebook page:

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.
This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.
Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.
This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT


Thomas and I do not agree in this regard, but that's fine with me.

(It's very difficult for me to see eye to eye with anyone who quotes the Founding Fathers.  They were distinct individuals with distinctly different philosophies.  Also, it's 2012 now.  I doubt the Founding Fathers had foresight to hold opinions on such modern matters as interstate highways, let alone stem cell research.)

I support his right to protest what he is opposed to, thereby drawing attention to the issues.  This was a peaceful, thoughtful protest.

Joe McDonald writes that Thomas's decision was the equivalent of snubbing the flag during the National Anthem.  That's ridiculous.  The flag is symbolic of our country as a whole.  A protest of the government is merely that, a protest of the government.  It is not required in the U.S. to agree with the actions of our politicians -- after all, we're a representational democracy; we elect our officials to serve the needs of the nation.  If we disagree with their actions, we have the right to show our opposition.

Comments

Popular Posts